The last quarterfinal of the America’s Cup 2019 was a marvel as Uruguay scored three goals against Peru in a dramatic match, but they were all disallowed due to offsides. In the penalty shootout, Luis Suárez let his team down, and after the final defeat and the tournament’s exit, he could not hold back his tears.
At the Arena Fonte Nova in Salvador, Brazil, the last quarterfinal match of the America’s Cup 2019 between Uruguay and Peru was played, a true highlight of the entire tournament.
- In the main time, the teams were unable to please the fans with goals, 0-0. Although the ball flew into the Peruvian goal three times after strikes by Giorchian de Arrascaeta, Edinson Cavani and Luis Suarez, in the end all three goals were cancelled due to offside. In the case of the second and third uncounted kicks, referee Wilton Sampaio even resorted to a video-recording.
Anyway, the luck, which was close to the Peruvian team during the main time of the meeting did not fail the nominal guests in the penalty shootout (5-4). For Peru, the 11-meter mark was used by forwards Jose Paolo Guerrero and Raul Ruidias, midfielders Josimar Jotun and Edison Flores, and defender Luis Advincula. For Uruguay, forwards Edinson Cavani and Christian Stuani and midfielders Rodrigo Bentancourt and Lucas Torreira were unmistakable.
The only one to miss was Barcelona forward Luis Suarez, the leader of the sky-blues (the first inaccurate penalty for the 32-year-old Uruguayan since November 2016), who after the match first failed to hold back tears from the bitterness of defeat and then complained about the failure that haunted his team throughout the quarterfinals.
- “Uruguay lost on penalties, that’s not fair. We played better, and we had many chances that were not realized. I’m used to facing difficult situations. This is not the first time it has happened to me, but I need to pick my head up and move on. My partners supported me in a difficult moment – when you’re frustrated, it’s hard, but you need support to get up and move on.
Criticism is the norm not only for me, but also for the team, the coach. We have high quality players and we will continue to grow,” Futbol.com.uy quoted Suarez as saying.
His former Barcelona teammate was immediately supported by Paris Saint-Germain and Brazil striker Neymar.
“Get up, big brother. I love you, friend,” Neymar wrote on Instagram.
Could not hide his disappointment with the final result and the mentor of the Uruguayan team Oscar Tabares. The specialist noted that the opponents tried to slow down the game and did not take risks, which helped them to last until the penalty shootout.
- “It’s a huge disappointment for the Uruguayan team. We wanted to win and show our game. We have to accept the defeat and congratulate the Peruvian team because they didn’t do anything that was against the rules. They tried to slow the game down and didn’t take any risks.”
– Newsgroove quoted the coach as saying.
And Lokomotiv midfielder Jefferson Farfan did not miss the opportunity to congratulate the winners – the Peruvian was unable to go to the tournament because of a knee injury.
“Proud of my gang,” wrote the soccer player of the “railroaders” in Instagram.
It is worth noting that Peru will now play in the semifinals of the America’s Cup with the reigning champion of the tournament, the team of Chile. In the other match of the 1/2 finals will be a meeting of the principal rivals of Argentina and Brazil, which is called by experts “hidden final”.
- For Suarez’s Barcelona partner Lionel Messi it will be the toughest test at the tournament: the hosts of the forum are rightly considered the favorites of the competition, and for Leo the failure in the semifinals could be the final point in the history of his career in the national team shirt.
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner himself is hoping for the best, praising his countrymen before the crucial game on July 3.
“We have a very good team together. It’s not just about soccer, but human qualities as well. We’ve come a long way to get the chance to play Brazil in the semifinals. We have to be extremely focused,” Messi is confident.